Friday, December 12, 2008

The Engagement: Who Knew?

Like I previously said, I had no idea the proposal was coming, but I sure was hoping for it. I knew right away that The man was the one, I just wasn't sure if he felt the same way especially with all of his non-marriage comments he was making.


I knew that if The Man planned on asking me to marry him that he would first ask my dad. Of course with my birthday quickly arriving, I asked my mother if she had heard anything that would lead us to believe that a proposal was coming (one can dream right)? and she said she hadn't... she even asked my father and he said nope, no news.


I was convinced that The man would never propose to me without asking my father for my hand in marriage. I'm not really sure how I knew this other than I knew The man and it seemed like something he would do. Little did I know....that he HAD asked me father the week before.


The week before my birthday we were at my parents house setting up for my younger sister's graduation party. I made the decorations for the tables and they came out so NICE and my mother asked me to come early and help her get ready for the party. Of course I dragged The man along and he was SOOOOO helpful. He helped us blow up balloons and set up the tables and then he even went and helped my mom cut up little rolls. I was so proud of him for being so helpful and not even complaining about it.


Once the party got underway, The man was hanging out with my dad all day like they were best friends. They had some beers together and just chatted all day. I had no idea that this was the day he asked my father for my hand in marriage.


Once he popped the question on the boat and I said yes, I wanted to call my parents and tell them. He said they already knew. So I called them anyway. The man had asked my father the week prior and my father didn't tell my mother because he knew she'd tell me. He told her that day, after we had left the house, so she knew too, but not early enough to tell me.


I'm glad I didn't know ahead of time. It made for an excellent birthday and a fabulous surprise.
Were your fiance's willing to ask your parents for your hand in marriage first? Did your parents keep the secret or spill the beans?

No comments:

Post a Comment