Monday, May 18, 2009

Sign Here Please

When thinking of all the useless things that have to do with weddings, I think of the guestbook. Is it really necessary? I mean- really, you know who is coming to the wedding by the RSVPS so do you need a book full of names. On the other hand, I feel strange not having one and what if I really DO want to look at who attended my wedding in 50 years? However, I'm not willing to part with $50 to have one, especially after all my married friends tell me what a waste the guestbook is.

For an insane moment, I looked up how to make and bind my own book (there are differnt binding techniques but I liked this coptic one) because I thought it would be cheaper than spending $50 on a guestbook. The instructions are intense and I'm really not sure how expensive it would be to make. I would actually like to try this someday, but maybe not so much right now.

While out with MOH Cooper this weekend she kept pointing out cheap (and cheap looking) guestbooks I could get. Now, I don't mind getting a cheap guestbook, but I don't want it to look cheap! And then I hit the jackpot at Walmart.

Here is my $10 guestbook in all it's glory. It's really quite cute inside. I loved the satin bottom portion and thought to myself of all its hidden potential.

I decided I was going to replace the ribbon with my own turquoise colored ribbon which I had previously bought for a differnt project. It was pretty easy to do. All I dip was open the cover, cut the paper that was over the ribbon and ripped it off. I Then cut a piece of ribbon the same length as the white one I pulled off, put double sidded tape on it and stuck it on in the place that the white ribbon had been. I made a bow and stuck that on with double sidded tape too.



Then I replced the paper on the inside with a piece I had bought from AC Moore with the cutest love sayings on it. I measured it to the paper I had ripped off, put some double sided tape on it and viola! cuteness! I was also going to replace the back piece, but the last page was glued down, so I just forgot about it.

I thought it was missing something, so I went down to my craft bin, and pulled out these cute cardboard cut out letters I had bought for tracing, and decided I would use them on the book as well. They were light pink, but I wanted them to be a different color.
Some glue, turquoise glitter embossing powder and after using the embossing heat tool this was the result.
I glued the letters on with rubber cement and placed something heavy on them until they adheared.

I'm not sure how I like the letters, I like the idea, but they didn't exactly turn out the color I was expecting. I thought they would match the ribbon exactlyand they don't. They got darker after the embossing. I'm trying to be okay with it. I had wanted to do them hot pink but couldn't find hot pink embossing powder at AC Moore, so I settled and I'm nt sure how I like it.

What do you think of my $10 guest book?

No comments:

Post a Comment