Friday, May 22, 2009

Thank You!

Last weekend when I was embossing the letters for our guestbook, I decided I midas well make some thank you cards. Yes, I know it's a little early, but that's the Courtney B way.

Making my thank you cards was REALLY easy. I had previously bought a stamp from ebay for under $10 that I was using on another project (don't worry, i'll blog about this when it's completed) and I was glad that I found another use for it with the thank you cards.

Materials needed:
embossing ink pad (it's clear, but really you can use any color ink you want it just won't show up after you put the embossing powder on it unless you use clear powder to show off the color underneath)
Stamp
embossing powder
Embossing gun (previously bought with a 50% off cupon at AC Moore)
5x7 paper (previously bought for my invitations but didn't use)
Gocco & Gocco ink (previously bought on ebay)
bonefolder (previously bought at AC Moore)

I used a pearly white paper I had bought from Paperandmore for my invitations, but didn't use for them (more on this later) and I stamped the paper with the butterfly stamp and then sprinkled embossing powder over it. Make sure to catch the extra on a piece of paper or a plate and you can put it back in your container and reuse it.

You have to pour the embossing powder on right away, but you don't have to use the embossing heat tool or gun right away. So I let a bunch of them pile up and then I went to town using the heat tool. (There's some chatter out there on the internet that a heat tool is unnecessary and you can use your stovetop burner to heat up the paper. Nope, not so much. I tried this a long time ago and after burning the paper and what felt like my hand, my paper was not embossed and I had to buy a heat tool. save yourself the hassle and buy a heat tool they aren't expensive).

After I enbossed my paper, I used my bone folder and my paper cutter (to measure) to score the cards in the middle.

After the scoring, I used my Gocco to print the words Thank You on the cards since they were too thick for my printer(I was not a happy camper the day i found this out).

Sorry for not having along-the-way pictures, but here is the final product:


and a close up:you may have noticed I stamped something on the back- I found a stamp I had in my craft bin that said "happily ever after" and i thought it would be cute to stamp on the back of the card, so i did, in pink.

Are you planning on making your own thank you cards?

2 comments: