Thursday, April 9, 2009

My Personal Trainer

If you want a killer work out, get some 5lb weights and a personal trainer. If you can't afford a personal trainer like me, get the next best thing,


a killer work out dvd. And I mean kill-her, as in Jillian makes me want to kill her with her "squat jacks" and "lunging curls," but I know it's for the best, so I comply in hopes of making my body look jacked someday like hers.

She's worked miracles on "the biggest loser" so when I heard about this DVD on some of the wedding boards, I ran out to walmart and spent my money happily. Then I found out it was a good workout AND only 20 minutes. I think I can spare 20 minutes. I didn't buy this DVD thinking I was going to lose 20 lbs in 30 days, I knew THAT wouldn't happen. I was just looking for a killer workout, and like promised, Jillian delivered.

The DVD consists of 3 levels. When I first started doing "the shred," as I call it, I was aiming to complete level 1 every other day. I began "shredding" last fall and I wasn't noticing a drop in weight, but I will not say I didn't notice a difference. The first thing I noticed was how Strong I felt after I completed the work out. I don't know what it was about Jillian, but she made me feel buff, even if I wasn't *quite* there yet. I noticed inches coming off and toning occuring. I liked the results I was getting even though it wasn't showing on the scale. I just *felt* like I was getting ripped. I think If I had continued shredding that I would be in a lot better shape right now, but alas, I did not. The Man started getting out of work earlier, and so I gave up my Jillian workouts at night because he was always there, and to be honest, I don't want anyone seeing me jump around that much.

We ended up getting a new dvd player recently and have since put our old one down in the basement with an old tv which makes for the perfect spot to "Shred." I just began shredding again this week.

I'm not going to lie, the first work-out with Jillian is tough. Really tough. Last fall the first time I tried level 1 I made it halfway through and I couldn't walk normally for 3 days. 3 days from 10 minutes of working out! Now, last year when I started, I had been working out everyday on my elliptical for an hour at a resistance of 8, so I thought this little workout dvd would be a piece of cake. I was wrong. But, I got back into it on the 3rd day, and I made it through the workout that time, and doing the moves again actually made my legs feel better. Each time I completed the work out I got a little better at the moves and eventually worked up to being able to complete the "advanced moves." It felt good.

I started at level 2 this time, knowing it was going to be harder than level 1. I had been afraid to move up to level 2 before because I heard it was a lot tougher... but this time I was ready for the challenge. On Monday, the first day I completed level 2, I felt like I was going to throw up afterwards. I made it through the whole work out at level 2 which was great, but I worked out so hard I felt sick. I did it again on Tuesday and made it through just fine.

Jillian makes muscles hurt that I didn't even know I had. Call me what you want, but I like that pain. While it's annoying that it hurts to lift my arm, I know that the pain I'm feeling is because I'm building muscle. Building muscle and shredding fat is the goal, so it's nice to actually "feel" it working. That being said, I'm no fool. I took a break yesterday from Jillian because it hurt to lift my arm, so there was no way I would have made it through lifting weights. Tonight I plan on having Jillian torture me again for 20 minutes. I'm actually looking forward to it, I felt guilty taking the day off yesterday, but I know your muscles need time to heal too.

There is one point in the video, towards the end, when Jillian says, "I want you to feel like you're going to die," and I'm not going to lie, I did feel like that the first day but I also felt a sense of accomplishment.

Anyone else out there shredding on a daily basis? Have you noticed it making a difference?






No comments:

Post a Comment