Thursday, October 29, 2009

Vows with a View: The Party Must go on

I had just finished returning to the reception from the bathroom. I didn't think I had been gone THAT long, but when I returned there were a bunch of people missing, including my groom.

My mom came over and told me she didn't want to worry me but that one of the guests had some kind of allergic reaction and they took her to the hospital and her parents left with her. If only i'd been around when it happened I could have let her borrow my epi-pen. To this day we aren't sure what she ate that made her have a reaction. She said she only had some cheese which she's never had a problem with before and then before you know it she was having a horrible reaction!

That explained the ambulance and missing people, but there were still quite a few not in the room, including my groom.

My mom then continued to tell me that someone else had a heart attack. She wasn't sure who he was because he was on my Groom's side, but that explained where my new husband was.

My hubby used to be a first responder and so was his father, so when Guest R had the heart attack they responded and brought him outside and administered 1st aid until the ambulance came. He left by ambulance with his wife and was admitted to the hospital where they ran all sorts of tests and kept him overnight.

I wasn't quite sure what to do at that point. Who has a reception that has two people taken away by ambulance in the first few minutes of the party?

My groom came back inside shortly after and we did what any couple could do that just got married and had two horrible events take place. We continued to celebrate our marriage.

As it turns out, both guests were fine! The girl with the allergy was released later that evening and Guest R with the heart attack was released the next day, not knowing what really happened. They said he didn't really have a heart attack, but they didn't have an explanation for what happened to him.

Have any of your guests had to leave by ambulance?

4 comments:

  1. Wow what a story! No, none of my guests had to leave by ambulance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not expecting any of that to happen, and we weren't really sure what to do! We were very glad when we got word later that night that both were doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't had my wedding yet (and hoping that doesn't happen) but a friend of a friend got married last year. The bride had not eaten much all day (nor drank much). By the time the reception rolled around, she passed out from dehydration! They called an ambulance and wheeled her out of the reception on a gurney where she spent the rest of her wedding night in the hospital! My friend said it was such a bummer but it was so cute how positive she was...she kept yelling at her guests to stay and have a good time as they took her away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man-that is so bad that happened to the bride! I would have been upset if I missed my own reception. That just goes to show that you need to make sure to eat and drink on your day, no matter how nervous you are beforehand!

    ReplyDelete