Monday, January 19, 2009

Houston, We Have a Problem.

Remember when I said I'd show you which dress I picked when it came in? Well, I wasn't telling the whole story. I did pick one of the dresses from Davids Bridal and we did place the order in October and then my dress came in-- in November. I wasn't expecting it to come in so quickly because they had told me it wouldn't be in until February, and then here it was about 4 weeks later, ready to be picked up and stored for the next 8 months. I decided to order it early because my consultant had told me it was being discontinued when the new season's dresses came out... and so I knew what I wanted and placed the order right then and there, ensuring that I would get my lovely.

I was really excited about it being in and even more excited that I had ordered my shoes and could try them on with my dress and look fabulous. I told MOH Cooper it was in and she wanted to go with me to pick it up. Since Davids is about an hour away from my house, we decided to make a WHOLE day of shopping out of it and to pick my dress up at the end of the day-- so that no one would steal it out of the car(a little crazy I know).

After Cooper and I had shopped until we dropped, we headed straight over to Davids for my dress. My consultant grabbed it for me and set it up in the room and then was back to her old ways of ignoring me. I was fine with it, I had Cooper with me to help.

So, I put my dress on and, I'm not gonna lie, it felt a little different to me... like it was shorter or something. Then I saw it in the mirror, and it looked shorter to me too. It was the perfect length for someone who wanted to wear flats or who wasn't wearing shoes. I forgot to put my shoes on while in the dressing room, so I had Cooper go and grab them.... and she even helped me put them on.

After putting on my dress with my shoes, I looked in the mirror to see the ensemble in all its beauty... and I noticed my shoes first. MY SHOES were sticking out the bottom of my fabulous dress. a lot. Hot hot hot Pink-ness everywhere. That's all I saw.

I decided it was too short to wear ANY kind of heel with it. Let me just say, I did not order the petite, and the sample dress I had tried on in the store had looked fine with the heels I brought of the same height.. in fact it was like THE PERFECT LENGTH with heels. BUT, Not my dress, MY dress showed my whole foot with heels. I walked toward the mirror and realized how hilarious I looked, it looked like I was wearing a high water dress. I only WISH I hadn't forgotten my camera because it was seriously the funniest thing I have ever expereinced on myself.

The owner had saw me in my dress and came over to see how I liked it right when I was expressing my shoe problem to Cooper. I really didn't want to get flats to wear for the wedding because The man is a lot taller than me, and I wanted to be somewhat close to his height for the ceremony and the pictures. I was totally bummed about this whole situation and wondered how my dress could clearly be so much shorter than the sample dress!

The owner of Davids was standing there listening to my dilemma the whole time... and then she told me the most amazing news ever. The dresses can have extra length added to it, up to 4". They come in xtra -long but you have to order them that way. I told her I didn't even know that was an option, and being 5'3", never in my wildest dreams did I think I would need extra length! She was really sweet and told me since I wasn't happy with my dress what we could do was, sell my dress to the store.. and then they would re-order my dress with the extra length. Of course the extra-length was extra money. Since my mom had paid for my dress I really didn't mind paying the extra $50 for the extra length. So it was decided. I wondered if the sample dress had been in the xtra-long and my sucky consultant hadn't told me. I forgot to check.

I went up to the register with Cooper and the owner and without my dress, and we made the switch. While we were in the process or making the switch, the owner said it had, in fact, been discontinued and they would only be making it for so much longer. She told me I was really lucky I came in when I did and tried it on because of this and because I still had time to re-order it. I thanked my lucky stars that I HAD ordered the first dress when I did, because if I had waited it probably would have been too late to re-order it in the new length! Then she told me since it had "officially" been discontinued it was on sale for more than it HAD been on sale when I first ordered it and soooooooooooo with the extra length charge and the sale, THEY owed me $30, instead of me owing them $50! So I doubly lucked out!

So that is what went down with my dress. And now I sit here and wait and wait and wait for the new one to come in. The new one is taking a LONG time compared to how long it took to produce the first one. I'm getting a little impatient... and I bet you are too...

I know I said I'd show you my dress and even my top 3 choices... but much like every other decision I have been making, I'm having second thoughts on that:

a. Because I don't want The Man to see it before the wedding; and
b. Because I know he'll go snooping around on my blog looking for it

So for now, I can't show you the dress. I may change my mind later on. We'll see.

Have you had any dress "issues" when going to pick up your dress?

No comments:

Post a Comment