Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Rookie Mistake: A DIY Disaster

Early on into the engagement I took a trip to JoAnn Fabrics and found the most beautiful turquoise sparkly fabric. I quickly decided that I could use this to create my card box. So I quickly bought 1 yard. She told me that if I needed more of that same fabric, all I would have to do is bring my receipt in (the one they pin onto the fabric) because it has the skew # or some number on it that they use to identify the fabric. This was great news because I wasn't sure how much I would need. Save your receipts girls!

I had scouted the internet for Ideas weeks before and had decided that instead of paying that much for a card box, I could create one that was personalized to our wedding and that cost less.

I bought 1 picture box and 1 CD box which was taller than the picture box while I was there, thinking I would stack them, and some white and hot pink ribbon. I was all set with my supplies and couldn't wait to get started.

I went downstairs to my craft bin (yep, I have a whole bin-one of the plastic ones they sell at walmart- and it's pink, to keep my crafting supplies in) and I got out my trusty Glue gun and some glue, and my exacto knife.

I promptly drew on the cd box a rectangular hole that I planned on cutting out with my exacto knife. It took forever, but I cut it out and it was perfectly ready to be crafted into my cardbox!

I wrapped it like I would wrap a Christmas present-I wrapped the top of the cd box separate from the bottom and i wrapped the whole picture box as one. Then I cut a slit into the fabric where the slot was on the CD box cover (this did not work out as I had imagined). The fabric started shredding because of my great idea, and although I just planned on wrapping it into the slot and gluing it underneath, it was running (it looked like a run in a stocking). So I tried to hide my mistakes by gluing on some ribbon all around the slot. The box then looked silly with that being the only spot for ribbon, so I went a little ribbon crazy after that.

After I finished wrapping the two boxes, and many many burnt fingers, I positioned the boxes with one on top of the other, and I wasn't loving it. So I decided to be a little more artsy and placed one on top of the other resting on an angle.

I liked that better, but it needed a little something else. I scrounged around the house and found two jewelry boxes that were small enough to be used, and I wrapped those with the fabric scraps I had left.

I made a trip to AC Moore and bought some wooden letters and painted them a hot pink (the man wasn't happy his initial was pink) and then crafted them to my box too. I glued all the boxes together to make sure they didn't shift and then places my letters in front.

It didn't come out horrible, but I didn't come out like I envisioned it either. I wasn't completely happy with the results. Here is my finished product:

Photo by Me!

I wasn't thrilled with the ribbon placement, but I needed it around the slot, as I had a lot of trouble with the fabric there and it was hiding my mistakes. I showed it to Partner in Crime and she loved it so I figured it couldn't be THAT bad. I guess I had just put such high hopes into it that I was expecting better.

I set it on the table to admire it and to hopefully fall in love with it.

The next day we got a card in the mail. I decided to try out my card box and went to put the card into it. It slid in but there was a problem. Part of it was sticking out, about an inch of it was sticking out actually. It was a standard sized card and if that didn't fit in there then none of the cards would fit in there.

So there you have it. My biggest mistake. Not measuring the height of the box to see if the cards would fit in there. Since I glued the boxes together, I couldn't take it apart and change the positioning because you'd see the hot glue on the fabric. Brilliant me. Measure, measure, measure girls!

I have to admit, I wasn't heartbroken that it was too small. I did waste a lot of time, and some money, but like I said- I wasn't in love with it... and now I had the chance to make a new one, a better one.

Have any of you had any big DIY disasters?

No comments:

Post a Comment