Monday, March 16, 2009

The Baker Jackpot

This past Saturday morning I met with our baker.


If you've been following my posts, you know I wasn't *quite* sure what I wanted (even after already meeting with another baker). In leu of making a decision, I decided to bring my top 3 cake photo's with me and see if Jeremy, my baker, and I could come up with a cake plan.




I needed some helpers and brought my mama and MOH Cooper with me for support and boy was I glad Cooper was there. She was fabulous (as usual) and super helpful since she's been through the wedding process before. Jeremy loved her so much, he almost offered her a job there... almost.


Jeremy was very friendly and brought out a book of his fantastic work for me to look through. Which was a bad idea. Bad, Jeremy, bad. You only confuse me more with your masterful skills. I liked his work a lot better than baker No. 1's and he was a lot more personable, plus my nut allergy problem didn't seem to phase him, as in, he was more than willing to work with it.


I showed Jeremy my 3 top cakes and he looked at me and said, "well, we have three very different cakes here. The only thing I can see that's similar is the fact that they are all white"

Seriously? I thought there were some similarities, but I'm no cake baker, so I guess my pictures were just like me- all over the place.


I picked out some qualities that I wanted my cake to have such as: round, tiered, textured looking (like the first photo), and butterfly's.

Jeremy said he had just what I was looking for. He went in the back and returned with this:



can I just say, I love the butterfly cascade. LOVE. I liked it before as well, but figured since the first baker I went to was going to charge me per butterfly, that it was out of our budget and should be out of my mind... but Jeremy, Jeremy said he could do whatever I wanted and he does not charge per decoration.


Now, the butterflys will be a little labor intesive but he said the fee would be minimal if any, and definatly not per butterfly.


The cake is going to be textured somewhat like picture no. 1, only all the way around each layer and white with the pink butterfly cascade(no flowers like in the picture above). We have a monogrammed initial I created for the topper. I think it'll look fabulous.


but what about the taste?

Well, you are not going to believe this, but Jeremy not only make beautiful cakes, but they taste like heaven. He baked me some samples to try, and I was expecting to try them in store. However, he baked me a small cake. My own little cake to bring home, which was perfect because now The Man (who was working) could taste the cake too.


The man preferred the more plain flavors of vanilla and chocolate (he wanted marble to begin with) and I fell in love with the raspberry cake. Mama and MOH Cooper favored the raspberry cake too. Want more fabulousness? the raspberry cake is PINK. How fun to cut into a white cake and have pink inside.


Ultimately our cake is going to be 4 tiers, so I figured we can do two raspberry tiers and two marble. The man seconds the decision.



Each tier of cake is consisting of 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. We have yet to decide on the filing flavors... that's just too much to ask of me for one day.


Jeremy doesn't take deposits but holds the date for you, and you do not have to pay until AFTER the event and if it isn't the way you imagined it would be, then he doesn't require payment at all. He is THAT good that he pretty much can guarantee that your cake will be fabulous, or you don't have to pay him.


I feel like we hit the baker jackpot! Anyone else feel really excited to be working with a certain venor of theirs?


6 comments:

  1. that is AWESOME, I need to find a baker like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I searched for reviews of bakery's around the area and his bakery had a lot of great reviews (5 star) on weddingwire... which is why I wanted to meet with him. So glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is this vendor and where can I find him!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. He works at Gambles Bakery located in Glens Falls (upstate) NY. I'm pretty impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Courtney B

    I actually create and sell Butterflies for wedding cake decoration and wanted to share what I just finished with you. I know you already have your own cake picked out and ready to go by now, but I wondered what you think about my take on casading butterfly cake toppers

    http://i41.tinypic.com/27zp6t.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Butterfly Bazaar: That's beautiful! I'm sure it'll inspire many other butterfly brides out there!

    ReplyDelete