Monday, March 30, 2009

I'm a Homebody

It's true. I'm a homebody. More specifically I'm not just a homebody, I've never left the Mother Country, and by Mother Country, I mean the United States. The Man is also a homebody, as he has never left the U.S. either.

I have always wanted to explore the world, but financially was not able to. So when it came time to pick our honeymoon spot, leaving the country and exploring some place new was not only something I wanted to do, but something I needed to do.

I have learned that more often than not, you can't predict the future. Life throws you curve balls and sometimes, even with the best intentions of accomplishing something, you don't always get the chance or opportunity to. I wanted to make sure I got to leave the country and go to another one at least once in my lifetime.

Several posts ago, I posted that we booked our Honeymoon destination- Jamaica. I can't even put into words how excited I am to go there. However, there is a little somethin' somethin' on my mind.....

I don't have one. The man doesn't have one. We are getting closer and closer to August.

We took so long deciding where to go and I wasn't quite sure if we'd be needing these babies, so we haven't applied for them yet. With 4 months left, I am a little worried about getting it in time. I am pretty sure that the wait time is a lot quicker than it used to be, but I'm not really sure what I'll do if it takes longer than 4 months to get!

The Man had gone to see a Travel Agent when we first started looking at places and the Agent told him about something new that New York State was offering called the Enhanced Driver License.

The travel agent told the Man the requirements of getting an enhanced license and told him that it was good for travel between the United States, Canada, Mexico, and the Carribean. The Man was all about getting these instead of passports because they are quicker to get, and also cheaper than a passport. The applications have been sitting here for about a month and a half. I hadn't really done anything with it, mostly because I hadn't had time to go to the DMV.

Secondly, I was a little ify about getting one of these for travel out of the country. I have a fear of being trapped and not allowed back into the U.S. if I used this for travel.

Because of my gut instinct telling me I need a passport to travel, I did a little more research on the enhanced Liscence and here is the deal: It is good for travel by LAND or SEA between the U.S, Canada, Mexico and the Carribean. There is nothing saying that it is good for AIR travel to or from the Carribean. Therefore, it looks like we will be in need of passports afterall. I'm glad I realized this now so that hopefully we'll have enough time to get our passports!

Has anyone gotten and used the Enhanced License for travel? How did it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment