Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bakery:Nuts::Cake:___________ (Part II)

So there I was, with my mama, sitting in the bakery at what had to be the smallest table I had ever seen. Out came the woman who was potentially going to make my dream wedding cake become a reality. She was carying three huge binders with her.

We met, she shook my hand, we sat down at the small table and she piled all the books in front of me to look through. However, I had brought a picture of what I wanted with me. I showed her and she said that she could make it easily and we quickly discussed colors of what I'd like to have. She then said she was going to go and "price it out" for me.

Off she went to price my cake, and left me there telling me to look through the books at her cakes.

It felt a little..... awkward. A little ---off. She didn't seem personable at all, she didn't seem like she loved what she did...... she just seemed -very- business like.

She didn't even discuss options with me such as cake flavors or fillings. And in the quickness that was our "meeting" I forgot to mention one very important detail. The allergy. *doh*

When she returned, my mother spoke up and told her immediately of my allergy to nuts, and asked if there was a way she could guarentee that my cake would not/could not be contaminated.

She immediately froze as if I had just told her I had a contagious disease. She looked at me, and pretty much told me there was no way, in her bakery that consisted of (4) four employees, that my cake would be guarenteed to be nut free- it simply could not, and would not happen. She told me no baker would ever guarentee me such a thing because bakery's use nuts.

AND That was pretty much the end of our meeting.

Whatever, I wasn't impressed with her anyway.

I can't and won't be taking any chances with having an allergy attack on my wedding day. I know someone out there will bake me a wedding cake, and it will be guarenteed to be nut free and uncontaminated. I just have to find a baker that is willing to work with my problem.

In fact, I have a meeting with a different baker this weekend. He has said he would guarentee that my cake would not be contaminated AND at our meeting he is going to make cake for us to taste. I already like him. Yum.


Have you met any vendors that were unwilling to guarentee something very important to you?

2 comments:

  1. This can't possibly be that hard of a request for a bakery. Lots of people have nut allergies, that is why they post signs in Dairy Queen and such saying that nuts are used in the facility. I wonder if you can find a small "one woman" show to make the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, I do have a meeting with a baker this weekend who has promised he would personally be in charge of my cake and make sure it doesn't become contaminated. If he doesn't work out for some reason, i do have a "one woman show" who I'll be checking out next. Thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete