Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Tale of Two Florists

Sometimes I wish I was more like
The Donald


so that I say: "You're Fired" to my Price Chopper Florist easily.



Some of you may remember several posts ago about my Dilema with flowers. I had previously met with Price Chopper Florist, after having heard many many good things about them and their prices, and to be honest I wasn't overly impressed. In fact, I had anxiety over my flower purchase for a whole week afterward. I decided something wasn't right with my floral order, flowers shouldn't cause anxiety!



Over the weekend I met with Cindy Murphy, a small town florist, and from the moment I met Cindy it was a different experience than I had at Price Chopper. Cindy was sweet, passionate about what she does, and like me, a crafter! Cindy owns her own craft shop after all! What more could I ask for?



To be fair, I came to Cindy with some ideas that I had printed off of online, and she came back at me with ideas, and pictures of flowers and examples of what she could do... where Price Chopper just took my idea and picked out the standard run of the mill bouquet that encompassed mostly roses and was pretty boring to me, but again, that was probably my fault for not knowing flowers and their names.



Rule #1 of florist choosing: Do Your Research! Have an idea of what you want, and be able to describe it, or better yet, bring a picture!



My Bridesmaid Bouquet inspiration:

Different flowers for each girl, All Fuschia or Hot Pink, all about the same size/shape. I wanted the color, shape and size to unify the bouquets, not the flower. I'm going to chose each girls bouquet to match her personality, which I think is a fabulously great Idea, if I do say so myself.


We also discussed centerpiece idea. While she didn't have the exact vases I wanted to create my submerged delphinium orchid centerpiece

(something similarly shaped to this, but with an invert at the bottom instead of the pedistal)



she didn't write me off right away either. she was searching her books, looking for what could be used. And while she was doing that, I was looking through books too, and true to form,


I. changed. my. mind. again.

Have you ever had to fire a vendor because you found someone you liked better after the fact?

2 comments:

  1. Courtney! I would love to bounce a few things off you - we are getting married in Lake George Sept 26th of this year & I am planning from out of state.

    I have yet to find a florist that is good but not super expensive. Also, instead of a rehersal dinner we wanted to do a mini-pub crawl or see a comedian with about 25 of our closest friends & family.

    Here is my email if you'd like to chat.

    slschneider5@yahoo.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had left a comment until after your wedding. I hope it turned out fabulous and I'm sorry I couldn't help!

    ReplyDelete