Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Who's behind this great idea?

When you spend so much time on your invitations and on the addressing of the envelopes it's kind of hard to stop obsessing and to not care what stamp gets put on there. Now, I know that most people wouldn't notice the stamp, but in my mind it is the first thing they are going to notice since it's on the outside of the envelope.

I knew my invites were somewhat heavy but was super excited when I weighed them at work and realized I could get away with the 61 cent stamp. Can I mention how cute the new 61 cent wedding cake stamp is? I've been wanting it since it came out. And, now I think I can get it.


but I was a little worried that there may be a catch to getting what I wanted. So I headed over to the Post Office on my lunch break with 1 invite in tow and had it weighed. She agreed that the 61 cent stamp would do the trick. I'll take the cake please.

easy. easy. easy, right? Wrong. The catch was that my invites were "hard" or non bendy so they won't go through the machine (which I didn't want anyway) so I had to pay the 20 cent surcharge for it to be hand stamped/because it couldn't go through the machine. Fine with me. Well, okay, more like annoying but I'll do it because I have to.

I kindly asked her if they had any cool wedding-y 20 cent stamps only to get the answer that they don't exactly "have" 20 cent stamps.

My options were as follows: I could get a 17 cent Billy Goat and 3 (1) cent Necklaces(which I personally HATE) and add those to my pretty pretty cake stamps. Ugh-okay, not my first choice to have 3 ugly stamps and 1 cool one on the envelope I so obsessed over forever. So I asked if there was any other options and she told me there was one......

The 26 cent cat. U-g-l-y, yes. More than I needed to pay, yes.

So my question is, who's idea was the 20 cent surcharge if you don't make a 20 cent stamp? And most likely the 20 cent surcharge is mostly for wedding invites so why isn't there a more wedding friendly stamp in the 20 cent range? Why the ugly animals?
seriously.

So which one did I chose? I chose the lesser of two evils.... the 26 cent cat. Yes, it was more than I needed to pay, yes, it's not quite what I thought would be adorning my envelopes, but it sure beats having 4 stamps on the outside and most likely no one will even notice the stamp.

Who am I kidding, it sticks out like a sore thumb-but what can you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment