Thursday, July 16, 2009

Gifting the Girlies


One of the fun parts about being a bridesmaid besides attending all the fun things is getting Gifts from the bride and groom. After spending all that money on the parties and gifts for the bride and groom, it certainly is nice to get something that shows all of that has been appreciated.

I would love to get my girls tons of gifts, but unfortunately I'm not made of money. I don't have a money tree to hit up, but I do have some serious craftiness that comes in pretty handy.

If you are one of my bridesmaids and you thought you'd come and check out my blog, you need to stop reading now. No more reading until after the wedding or you will ruin the surprise and it will be all your own fault. I will not feel one bit sorry for you if you peek.

you've been warned.



One of the bridesmaid gifts I have decided to give the girls is a pair of flip flops. While this may not seem like much, I do have girls traveling from out of town and I don't think they'll think to bring an extra pair of shoes. I thought this would be something really sweet for them to have in case their shoes start hurting them.

I went to Old Navy and bought them each a pair of silver flops. The really comfy ones, yeah, you know which ones I'm talking about.
I wanted to Glam them up a bit. So I went to AC Moore and bought:
all purpose spray adhesive
Silver glitter
and at the grocery store, some small white plastic bags.

First I took the small garbage bags and wrapped the part of the shoe I didn't want glittered so that it wouldn't get hit with adhesive my accident. That's how I roll.


Next, I shook up the spray adhesive and sprayed the silver thong part of the sandal that I wanted to cover in glitter. I then took a spoon and sprinkled the glitter on the thong, and let dry, then cut off the plastic bag.

Hello gorgeous.


I then Cleaned off any excess glitter that I may have gotten on the shoe, or in a spot I didn't want with some packaging tape. Just press down the tape and the glitter comes up easily.

The glitter wasn't sticking as well as I imagined and the thong part felt sticky to me, which I didn't want at all. To resolve this problem, I busted out some Clear Acrylic Sealer that I already had (previously bought at the craft store), and gave the thongs two good coats. That did the trick!Easy, cheap, and fabulous. I know I'd love a pair. In fact, I want to make myself a pair now. You could do this with any color that you wanted to use. Just find the perfect glitter and go to town.

*I did this project outside as it's very messy.
** I HIGHLY suggest using rubber gloves because if you get the spray adhesive on your hand, it's really sticky, gross, and takes forever to get off.

What fun finds do you have planned for your girls?

No comments:

Post a Comment